Wolverine Venture Battle Competitor Information
Intent to Compete
To register, teams are required to complete the online form by clicking on the button below.
- What is the name of your venture?
- Is it social or commercial?
- Team Member Information
- Idea description (1-2 paragraphs)
- Commercial Enterprises Only: Completed Business Model Canvas. Here’s a PPT template. Please print it to PDF before you upload it. Guidance on how to complete the Business Model Canvas can be found here.
- Social Enterprises Only: Completed Mission Model Canvas. Here’s a PPT template. Please print it to PDF before you upload it. Guidance on how to complete the Mission Model Canvas can be found here.
Complete the Intent to Compete Submission by Tuesday, February 19 @ 5PM.
Proof of Concept
Once you indicate your intent to compete, it’s time to get to work! For the next few weeks, your team will go about making as much progress as possible toward strengthening your case that your idea is a good (and viable) one. If you’re serious about being a contender, you’ll want to follow these proven Pro Tips.
Your Proof of Concept Round Submission consists of the following three parts. When you’re ready to submit, access the submission form by clicking on the button below.
PART 1 – PowerPoint Presentation: In no more than 15 slides, summarize each of the nine blocks on the Canvas as it pertains to your idea. PowerPoint presentations must be saved as a PDF.
PART 2 – Video Submission: In a video that is no longer than seven minutes, tell the WVB Review Panel a compelling story that makes them believe that your idea is a BIG idea. Weave in aspects of the PowerPoint presentation that support your cause.
The video is also where you want to highlight what you’ve done to strengthen your belief that this is a viable venture. If your team did a ton of interviews, tell the WVB Review Panel about the insights that you have discovered. If you made a prototype, show it off! Explain the changes in thinking that your team has experienced from the initial Canvas and how you’ve pivoted. Finally, make the video interesting!
Videos are to be uploaded to YouTube and the link to view the video will be submitted below. (You may categorize the video as “Unlisted” if you do not want the public to have access while still allowing the WVB Review Panel to view it.)
PART 3 – Submission Statement: This Submission Statement signed by all team members must be uploaded as well.
Upload Proof of Concept by Thursday, March 21 @ 5PM.
Feedback will be provided to the finalist teams in order to guide them as to how they should proceed to strengthen their business models.
Final Battle Round Investor Packet Preparation
Now is the time to put your foot on the proverbial gas! The top teams are expected to continue to make as much progress as possible with their ventures as they prepare for the Final Battle Round.
Investor Packet Submission
The Finalists are required to submit an Investor Packet by 5PM on Wednesday, April 24. This packet should include:
- An Executive Summary in this one page format used by the Angel Capital Association with one exception – the Financial Summary at the bottom is only required to show a THREE year estimation: 2019, 2020, and 2021.
- Income Statement for 2019, 2020, and 2021 to support the numbers shown in the Executive Summary. Wolverine Venture Battle finalist teams are required to attend the Venture U seminar on startup projections with Professor Ken Smith. Registration required here. To help teams with this portion of the packet, Professor Smith is available to advise Finalist teams. Please email Professor Smith to set up a time to meet after attending his Venture U seminar.
- Access to LivePlan will be provided for all finalist teams to prepare documentation for Investors. This will help with the preparation of the Financials and any other details that you’d like to present. You are encouraged to prepare a nice supplemental package for the Investors to show that you have thought through all of the details with regard to your venture. Teams are permitted to submit any supplemental materials that they like.
Upload Investor Packet by Wednesday, April 24 @ 5PM.
Round Three: Final Battle Round Pitch Presentation
The Final Battle will consist of an 8-minute pitch presentation to the Investors. The Investors will then have 6 minutes for questions.
Some resources that may assist you as your prepare your presentations include:
Unlike a formal business plan competition, you are not required to wear business attire. Feel free to dress as appropriate for your business idea. Of course, if you need to wear your power suit, feel free to do so!
Once all teams have presented, the Investors will go to the deliberation room to decide which teams that they would like to “invest” in. Just as in real life, each Investor will have a set dollar amount to spend and can give any amount to any and all teams. This means that, theoretically, all finalist teams could end up with cash….or one team can take it all!
Round Three: Final Battle Round Prize Giving Ceremony
The Investors will then return to Sticht Hall to announce their investment decisions as the crowd eagerly tracks each team’s winnings. The TOP TEAM as determined by total cash winnings will be crowned the Wolverine Venture Battle Champion and the crowd will rejoice. HUZZAH!