Reviewers Needed! (click here for more information.)
About the Elevator Pitch Competition (EPC)
Sponsored by local coffee shop Beans on Broad
The “elevator” pitch is a frequently used term, which literally means “tell me about your new venture within the time it would take to ride up an elevator.” The goal of the Elevator Pitch Competition is to teach students to communicate effectively and allow their charisma and positive characteristics to shine through in just a short pitch. The Elevator Pitch Competition demonstrates the networking and presentation skills essential to any entrepreneur or business professional. Please note that ideas may be at any stage of development from creation of concepts or ideas to an established venture.
Who Should Participate?
- The Grove City College Elevator Pitch Competition is currently open only to Grove City College students.
- GCC students interested in enhancing their presentation skills
- GCC students who want to explore the idea of starting a new venture
- GCC students planning to possibly prepare/vet your idea for VentureLab and/or the Wolverine Venture Battle
- This is your chance to showcase your talents and passion for changing the world through entrepreneurship + innovation.
- It’s an opportunity to present your commercial or social idea in a positive atmosphere.
- Why not receive recognition for the merits of the presentation of your idea with the possibility of cash awards?
What’s in store for The 2020 Elevator Pitch Competition?
September 10: Registration Opens
September 17: Registration Closes
October 1: Video Submission Deadline
October 23: Finalists Announced
November 6: Final Round (Virtual: Live at 7 PM)
Commercial Enterprise: Social Enterprise:
1st Place–$500 1st Place–$500
2nd Place–$400 2nd Place–$400
3rd Place–$300 3rd Place–$300
Grove City Foundation Social Impact Prize: $250*
*awarded to one social enterprise team
To register, students are required to complete the online form by clicking on the button below. Once registered, students should starting working to create and record their elevator pitch as ALL REGISTRANTS WILL ADVANCE TO ROUND 2!
- Name of your venture
- Is it social or commercial?
- Individual/Team Member(s) Information
- Short idea description (1-2 sentences)
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN!
Register by Thursday, September 17 @ 11:59 PM
In a video recording that is no longer than two minutes, deliver your pitch to the Elevator Pitch Review Panel. The EPC Review Panel will choose the TOP SCORING TEAMS to compete in ROUND 3 (FINALS) based on the judging rubrics (above).
Feedback will be provided to the finalists in order to guide them as to how they should proceed to strengthen their pitch in the final round.
Information to consider and include in your pitch:
• What is the problem? Tell a story! Paint a picture!
• What is your solution?
• What is your organization’s name, and who are you?
• Why you?
• What is it like/similar to?
• How is it different from the competition?
• How are you going to make money? (Social = become sustainable)
• How can you expand in the future?
Upload your final video submission to YouTube. We will ask you to provide the link to your video for our reviewers.
Deadline to upload video: Thursday, October 1, 2020 @ 11:59 PM
LIVE Virtual Presentations
FINALISTS will pitch their Commercial or Social Enterprise idea to a panel of judges in a LIVE VIRTUAL presentation. EVERYONE is invited to attend (registration required).
AUDIENCE REGISTRATION FORM COMING SOON.
LIVE event: Friday, November 6 @ 7PM
Congratulations to our 2019 EPC Winners!
1st – Audisense, Gabriella Yonkers ’20 (Communications + Visual Arts Major)
2nd – InCase, Alex Minotto ’23 (Political Science Major)
3rd – Gecko Sheets, Karsten Lagerquist ’22 (Finance Major)
4th – Easy Tie, Matthew Williams ’23 (Business Analysis Major)
5th – Muse, Laura Mosley ’22 (Communication Studies + Management Major)
1st – FlyMarlee, Peyton Brogan ’22 (Entrepreneurship Major)
2nd – ClayMotion, Meredith Basham ’23 (Marketing Major)
3rd – NGO Source, Nathan Warrick ’22 (Entrepreneurship Major)
Grove City Foundation Social Impact Prize:
Quick Tips, Olivia Whiteman ’23 (Entrepreneurship Major)
Missed it? Watch every one of our fantastic student pitches right here!
Interested in being a part of the first VIRTUAL 2020 Elevator Pitch Competition? We are looking for Reviewers to watch student pitch videos and help determine which students will advance to Round 3—Finals! There is no need to come to campus. The process is easy and entirely remote and can be done from the comfort of your own home or office. This is your opportunity to get involved! Won’t you join us?
2020 Judges–MORE Photos + Bios COMING SOON!
Retired, President and GM, The Sherwin-Williams Company
Owner, Beans on Broad
Counseling and Education Professional Board Member, The Grove City Foundation